Map Collections at UCD and on the Web: Historic Maps - All Island Ireland
Pre 1600 Maps of Ireland
Hiberniae, Britannicae Insulae, Nova Descripto by Abraham Ortelius, 1572
Historic Maps of Ireland from the Library of Congress
Ireland from Maps. (1980) Dublin: National Library of Ireland. This publication includes the following maps:
- Ptolemy's Map of Ireland, 150 A.D.
- Martin Waldseemuller : A Seachart of Ireland. Strasbourg, 1513
- Gerald Meractor : Map of Ireland. Duisburg, 1564
Ireland's History in Maps - this site uses a basic graphical map of Ireland to display thematic information such as Bronze Age Ireland, Arrival of Christianity, the Viking Era, Plantation and Earldoms, etc.
Life in Elizabethan England Shows a basic map of Ireland with the territories owned by the Gaelic chiefs circa 1500.
Early Irish maps from State Papers c.1558 - c.1610 Made available through the National Archives UK website. The collection comprises more than 60 different maps depicting plantations, fortifications and townships in Ireland during the reigns of Elizabeth I and James I, in the 16th and 17th centuries, some which are amongst the earliest cartographic representations of Ireland and are available at a fee.
The Down Survey of Ireland
The Down Survey of Ireland Taken in the years 1656-1658, the Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. In addition to other material this website comprises digital images of all the surviving Down Survey maps at parish, barony and county level.
Learn about the Down Survey of Ireland project from Dr Micheál Ó’Siochrú of Trinity College Dublin’s Department of History.
How to find the date of a six inch or 25 inch historic map
- The Ordnance Survey Ireland (OSi) free public map viewer allows you view the historic 25 inch and 6 inch mapping series and you can find the dates of the maps by following these instructions:
Find your area of interest by zooming in or typing your address
Then from right-hand side options choose one of the historic map series
Next, click on search in the Menu box
When this search box opens click on the tab named Historic
Now in the search box type some random numbers, e.g. 001 (the county is completely irrelevant)
Click on the word Search which is in the lower right corner of the search box
The map sheet numbers will be displayed for the area shown on your screen
Now that you know your sheet number, e.g. WH031-08 you type this number into the search box
This means you are overwriting 001 which you had typed earlier
Click the word Search again and the survey date for the map will be shown.
Maps of Ireland after 1600
Read here for information about Taylor & Skinner's survey.
Maps to accompany the Topographical Dictionary were published in a separate atlas
1831-1846 - Six Inch Ordnance Maps of Ireland (1:10,560)
- You can read about the 6 inch Ordnance Survey maps here.
- OSi MapGenie gives access to the historic 6 inch mapping series. See our MapGenie page for information on access.
- High-quality versions are available to purchase in Richview Library via the OSi e-commerce service.
- This historic 6inch series is available to view on the OSI's free map viewer http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,588882,739883,0,10
You can find the specific date of the 6inch map you are interested in by following instructions given in the box to the left.