Social Media to Promote Research: Introduction
Developing a Social Media Strategy
Before you start using social media to promote your research, it is useful to think about your overall impact goals, who you are trying to reach, and what you want to communicate. Developing a social media strategy can ensure you use social media more efficiently and effectively by helping you:
- identify and focus on the most appropriate tools and platforms, and avoid "wasting" your time
- control your digital footprint to ensure social media adds to your professional reputation
- track and monitor your social media impact to evaluate if it has a positive or negative effect on your overall impact goals
Fast Track Impact (developed by Prof. Mark Reed) contains a free downloadable word and PDF template to help you develop your own social media strategy.
Creating Quick & Easy Graphics for Social Media
This series of presentations includes:
- an overview of websites for free images
- image websites / search engines with some restrictions
- UCD images / branding
- free photo / graphic editors, including Canva, Pixlr and Pablo
H2020 Guidance: Social media guide for EU funded R&I projects
Why should I use Social Media?
Social media can be time consuming. However, when used strategically it can benefit you as a researcher by helping you:
- Discover & “filter” new research & keep up to date
- Connect with new contacts and build your network
- Find out about funding opportunities, calls for papers etc
- Increase the visibility of your research online
- Communicate with audiences outside academia e.g. practitioners, policy-makers, the media etc.
- Discover how people are engaging with your research, what they are interested in & get feedback
Caveats & Things to Consider:
However, using social media is not without its pitfalls and also raises concerns regarding data privacy. Before signing up to any tools or platforms:
Be aware that your profile is usually public
Read the small print - Who owns the data? Copyright and IP?
Third party services can close down without notice or be taken over/merged
- Last Updated: Mar 25, 2019 11:11 AM
- URL: https://libguides.ucd.ie/socialmedia
- Print Page