EndNote: Managing your references
Managing your references in EndNote X8
Create Custom Groups
You can see every reference in your library All References group. You can choose to subdivide your library into smaller sections by using the Groups option in EndNote X8.
- Select Groups > Create Group and name the new group.
- Select the references you want to add to this group (e.g. all references from a specific journal or by a specific author) and drag them over to your new custom group.
- You can also use Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste from the menu.
- EndNote will only create a copy of the reference; the reference will still be available in the All References group.
Remove Duplicate References
You should ideally have only one copy of a reference in your library, but may have inadvertently brought duplicates when searching multiple databases.
- Go to All References to make sure all the references in your library are displayed and not just the content of a single group.
- Select References > Find Duplicates.
- A new window will appear displaying duplicate records. Select the reference you want to keep. The other record will be moved to Trash.
- References moved to Trash will remain available until you delete the contents of your Trash folder or you close EndNote.
- Select All References to return to your now deduplicated library.
Create a Subject Bibliography
You can quickly create a bibliography of references that you want to share with others using EndNote X8.
- From the program menus Select Tools > Subject Bibliography.
- From the subject fields box select the field that you want base the selection of references on and click OK.
- Select all the terms you need by clicking on them.
- Click OK to view your Subject Bibliography.
- You now have the option to Change the Output Style, Print or Save the subject bibliography.
Managing your references In EndNote Online
The Group feature allows you to divide your records by topic or other criteria. If you don't do this all references will be saved in the Unfiled folder.
- Go to the Organize tab and select Groups.
- Click on the New Group button and give the new group a suitable name.
- To add references go to the My References tab.
- Clicking on the All My References link will list all references in your library.
- Tick the box beside the references you want to add to a group.
- At the top of the list of references will be a dropdown menu listing all your groups. Select your group and the references will be copied directly to your chosen group.
You can also share your references with others in EndNote Online.
- While in the Groups section of the Organize tab tick the box beside the group you want to share and click on the Manage Sharing button.
- Add the email addresses of other people who are registered with EndNote Online and they will be notified that they have been given access to your group.
- There are two levels of access: Read Only, which only gives people the option to view the references in your group or Read and Write, which allows people to add and delete references in your group.
If you have been searching a number of databases you may have collected the same record more than once.
- In the Organize tab click on Find Duplicates and EndNote Web will list all duplicate references with the box beside the duplicate record already selected.
- Click on the Delete button to remove the duplicates.
You can use this feature to easily and quickly create a bibliography of references in your library.
- Click on the Format tab and select Bibliography.
- Select the group that you want create a bibliography from.
- Select your Bibliographic Style.
- Select the File Format that you want the bibliography to be in.
- Then select whether you want to email, print or preview your bibliography.
- Last Updated: Aug 20, 2019 4:01 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucd.ie/endnote
- Print Page