Theses Information: Introduction
UCD Theses Collection
UCD Library receives copies of all major theses awarded at University College Dublin. This collection comprises thousands of volumes of original primary research in all subject areas.
This collection is made up, primarily, of doctoral and master theses by research, which have been received in accordance with university regulations.
Theses submitted as part of a taught masters degree are usually not held by UCD Library. For exceptions to this rule consult library staff in your Library.
Theses held in the James Joyce Library include those submitted to:
- College of Health & Agricultural Sciences (except Health & Veterinary Medicine)
- College of Arts & Humanities
- College of Business
- College of Engineering & Architecture (except Architecture)
- College of Social Sciences & Law
- College of Science
Theses related to Health Sciences, Veterinary Medicine, Postgraduate Business and Architecture are held at their respective libraries.
Use OneSearch to locate details of all UCD theses held in the Library: once you have keyed in your topic keywords, use the left hand panel to select Library Catalogue and then further limit your results under Content Type to Dissertations/Theses
Consulting UCD Theses
Consult a thesis:
- Theses held at the James Joyce Library (JJL) are available for consultation purposes only.
- To request a thesis held at JJL:
- UCD students and staff -
Use OneSearch to locate details of all UCD theses held in the Library: once you have keyed in your topic keywords, use the left hand panel to limit results to Library Catalogue and further limit your results under Content Typeto Dissertations/ThesesHaving found a thesis of interest click on the title to be brought to the full record in our catalogue and then select "Request it"
- External users - complete the thesis request form.
- UCD students and staff -
- For theses held in our other Libraries access may vary. Queries should be directed to staff in those libraries.
Access to some theses in UCD may be restricted:
- An author may withhold permission for access for up to 3 years after presentation (Library Regulation 2.13). Unless the embargo period is extended, theses become automatically available for consultation after the 3 year period expires.
- Within this 3 year period, where the permission hasn’t previously been granted, the Library is obliged to seek permission for consultation - this may result in a delay in supply.
- Within this 3 year period an author may choose to refuse permission for consultation.
A thesis is made available for consultation on the understanding that the reader will not publish in any form, either the whole or any part of it, without the written permission of the University Librarian.
- Last Updated: Aug 18, 2022 6:02 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucd.ie/theses_at_UCD
- Print Page