- Student Guides
- Literature Review
Literature Review: Introduction
This guide presents tools and advice for conducting a Literature Review.
(01) 716 6572
Subjects: Biological and Environmental Science, Biomolecular and Biomedical Science, Biomolecular Science, Chemistry, Computer Science, EndNote, Geology, Information Skills, Literature Review, Mathematics, Medicine and Medical Science, Nursing, Midwifery and Health Systems, Occupational Safety and Health, Physics, Physiotherapy and Performance Science, Public Health and Population Science, Sports Management, Subject Guide, Systematic Review
What is a Literature Review?
"A literature review is a written document that presents a logically argued case founded on a comprehensive understanding of the current state of knowledge about a topic of study. This case establishes a convincing thesis to answer the study's question."
(Machi, L.A. & McEvoy, B.T. 2009, The literature review: six steps to success, p. 4)
A Literature review:
- Is a critical, in-depth evaluation of research already undertaken on a specific topic.
- Allows you to demonstrate your ability to identify relevant information and to outline existing knowledge.
- Identifies the gap in the research that your work will address and produce a rationale for your own research.
- Is not a list of all previous research, but rather an assessment of the research.
This guide provides general guidance - check with your supervisor/lecturer/school to find out if there are any specific requirements for your literature review before proceeding.
Literature review Books
- Doing Your Literature Review by Jill Jesson; Lydia Matheson; Fiona M. LaceyISBN: 9781848601543Publication Date: 2011-03-14
- The Literature Review by Lawrence A. Machi; Brenda T. McEvoyISBN: 9781412961356Publication Date: 2008-07-10
- The Literature Review by Diana RidleyISBN: 9781446201435Publication Date: 2012-07-31
Find more by doing a search on OneSearch for the phrase “doing literature review” and then in the left panel limit your results to Library Catalogue to see some of what is available.
- Last Updated: Feb 7, 2023 2:12 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucd.ie/litreview
- Print Page
Subjects: Literature Review
Tags: Literature Review