Newspapers at UCD and on the Web: Overview
Search for Online and Printed Newspapers
- Use OneSearch to find newspapers
- Key in the title or newspaper service of interest whether print or online e.g, Irish Times, Nexis, Irish Newspapers Archive, Dundalk Democrat
- To view just print holdings select Newspaper (not newspaper article) AND Journal/eJournal from the left Refine Your Search panel - only one may be offered to you
- To view just online holdings select Database
Finding Historical Newspapers
The Library holds regional, national and international newspapers in electronic, print and microform format.
The majority of our holdings are in electronic format and cover both contemporary and historical titles.
See some of our popular titles below.
We have an extensive collection of regional, national and international newspapers available online through our online resource discovery platform. Our online collections comprise both digital newspaper archives and full-text newspaper article databases, each with powerful search capabilities.
We have a small collection of print newspapers in all our libraries. The biggest collection is in James Joyce Library and can be browsed near the entrance to Link 2, The Writing Support Centre on Level 1.
Popular Newspaper Databases
- Irish Times (1859-2020) (ProQuest Historical Newspapers) This link opens in a new windowContains the Irish Times Digital Archive - a fully searchable archive which includes every page published since the newspapers foundation in 1859. Coverage: 1859-2020.
- Irish Times (1995 - ) (Proquest) This link opens in a new windowA full-text newspaper article database containing articles published in the Irish Times from 1995 to present. Full-text articles only, excludes images.
- Irish Newspapers Archives This link opens in a new windowDigital archive of over six million Irish national, regional and historical newspapers.
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers Part 1 (Gale) This link opens in a new windowA collection of national and regional newspapers, as well as newspapers from: established country or university towns; the industrial powerhouses of the manufacturing Midlands; and Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Newspapers that helped lead particular political or social movements such as Reform, Chartism, and Home Rule are also included, in addition to Penny papers aimed at the working and clerical classes.
- The Times Digital Archive (1785-2012)The Times Digital Archive is an online, full-text facsimile of more than 200 years of the Times, one of the most highly regarded resources for eighteenth-, nineteenth-, and twentieth-century news coverage, with every page of every issue from 1785 to 2012.
- European Newsstream This link opens in a new windowEuropean Newsstream enables users to search the most recent Irish, United Kingdom and European news content with archives back to the 1990s, including newspapers such, newswires, journals, and websites in full-text format.
- Gale OneFile News (Gale) This link opens in a new windowProvides access to more than 2,000 major world newspapers, and includes thousands of images, radio and TV broadcasts and transcripts.
- Nexis Advance UK This link opens in a new windowNexis Advance UK provides full text access to regional, national and international newspapers, business trade journals, company reports and country reports.
- Last Updated: May 31, 2023 12:35 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucd.ie/newspapers
- Print Page