- Student Guides
- Journal Articles & Databases
Sociology: Journal Articles & Databases
What Is Peer Review?
Articles in peer reviewed journals have been assessed before publication by subject experts. This means they are the 'gold' standard in academic articles. You will be expected to use peer reviewed journal articles in your assignments.
JSTOR: Subject Searching for Articles
Watch a short tutorial on how to search for information on a subject in JSTOR:
If you you are having trouble viewing this video try this alternative link.
Key Databases for Sociology
Databases allow you to search across a range of different journals, books and other publications for information on a specific topic. Databases contain peer-reviewed, scholarly material. Links to the full-text will be provided, where available, by UCD Library.
- Sociological Abstracts (Proquest) This link opens in a new windowThis database abstracts and indexes the international literature of sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. The database provides abstracts of journal articles and citations to book reviews drawn from over 1,800+ serials publications and also provides abstracts of books, book chapters, dissertations, conference papers and working papers. Cited references are included for many journal articles.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (Proquest) This link opens in a new windowThe International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS) is an essential online resource for social science and interdisciplinary research. IBSS includes over two million bibliographic references to journal articles and to books, reviews and selected chapters dating back to 1951. It is unique in its broad coverage of international material and incorporates over 100 languages and countries. Over 2,800 journals are regularly indexed and some 7,000 books are included each year. Abstracts are provided for half of all current journal articles and full text availability is continually increasing.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online (OUP) This link opens in a new windowOxford Bibliographies provides faculty and students alike with a seamless pathway to the most accurate and reliable resources for a variety of academic topics. Written and reviewed by academic experts, every article in our database is an authoritative guide to the current scholarship, containing original commentary and annotations.
- Applied Social Sciences Index and Abstracts (Proquest) This link opens in a new windowApplied Social Sciences Index and Abstracts (ASSIA) is a multidisciplinary bibliographic database that covers health, social services, psychology, sociology, economics, politics, race relations and education. ASSIA currently abstracts over 500 journals published in 16 different countries, including the UK and US. This database is particularly useful for research at the intersections between social science and health information.
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowDigital library of important scholarly archived journals spanning many subject disciplines. IReL provides access to the following collections: Arts & Sciences I-VII, XI-XII; Ireland Collection; Life Sciences Collection.
Full Lists of Databases and eJournals
Follow these links and pick a subject to see a longer listing for your subject:
Pick your subject for a full list of eJournals
- Where to Start
- Books & eBooks
- Journal Articles & Databases
- Key Websites
- Government & EU Information
- Datasets & Statistics
- Citing Information & Avoiding Plagiarism
Finding Articles on Reading Lists
Try this first
You can look up articles in OneSearch, our resource discovery service.
Put the exact title of the article in inverted commas.
If we can provide an instant link you will see the journal article displayed - click Full Text Online to access the text.
If we cannot provide a quick article link or it fails, then search for the name of the whole Journal instead of the article title e.g. "Journal of Common Market Studies"
For print-only journals you will be shown the location and shelfmark, so that you can locate the volume on the shelf
For electronic journals, click to link to the full journal and then navigate to the year, volume and issue that you want to see your article: or there may be an option to search for the article title provided by the online journal portal in which case key in the article in that box.
- Last Updated: Feb 7, 2023 2:44 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucd.ie/sociology
- Print Page