Social Media to Promote Research: Blogs
Why set up a blog?
Blogging is a good way to communicate your research to both academic and non-academic audiences. Blogging is more time consuming than other social media platforms such as Twitter, however blog posts can be particularly useful for communicating more complex ideas, for developing your profile and reputation as a researcher, and building an audience for your research.
Below are some ideas of things you can blog about:
- Write about the background to your research
- Research updates
- Share new things you learn
- Commentary posts on current events
- Posts which link back to your own research
- Report on a conference
Source: Mollett, Amy, et al. Communicating Your Research with Social Media: A Practical Guide to Using Blogs, Podcasts, Data Visualisations and Video. SAGE, 2017.
- Communicating Your Research with Social Media by Amy Mollett; Cheryl Brumley; Chris Gilson; Sierra WilliamsCall Number: 302.231 MOLISBN: 9781412962223Publication Date: 2017
Examples of blogs
- Dublin European InstituteA muliti-author blog sponsored by the UCD Dublin European Institute, based within the School of Politics and International Relations at University College Dublin.
- The Sea of BooksThe Sea of Books is the blog for the UCD Humanities Institute’s Nation, Genre and Gender project
- UCD School of Politics and International Relations blogOfficial blog of the UCD School of Politics and International Relations (SPIRe), the oldest and the largest school of its kind in the Republic of Ireland.
- UCD Library blogPromoting UCD Library collections, resources and developments
- UCD Library Cultural Heritage Collections blogDiscover and explore the historical treasures found within the UCD Cultural Heritage units, which include UCD Archives, UCD Digital Library, Special Collections, and the National Folklore Collection
Where to host your blog
You may want to set up an analytics tool e.g. Google Analytics, on your blog to monitor traffic and track where readers are coning from, and which blog posts they are most interested in etc.
Blogging for publicising research (Ned Potter)
The London School of Economics and Political Science wrote a useful blogpost on "How to write a blogpost from your journal article"
- Last Updated: Jan 31, 2023 2:21 PM
- URL: https://libguides.ucd.ie/socialmedia
- Print Page