Citizen Science: UCD E-Books ; Tools, Products & Software
This guide provides case studies, resources and information on relevant events to support UCD staff, researchers, academics and students interested in citizen science.
Online Books available via UCD Library
- Citizen Science: Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy byISBN: 9781787352339Publication Date: 2018This Open Access book is published by UCL Press. This book identifies and explains the role of citizen science within innovation in science and society, and as a vibrant and productive science-policy interface. The scope of this volume is global, geared towards identifying solutions and lessons to be applied across science, practice and policy.
- Citizen Science: Public Participation in Environmental Research byISBN: 9780801449116Publication Date: 2012In this book, experts from a variety of disciplines including scientists and education specialists working at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, where many large citizen science programs use birds as proxies for biodiversity share their experiences of creating and implementing successful citizen science projects, primarily those that use massive data sets gathered by citizen scientists to better understand the impact of environmental change.
- Learning Through Citizen Science : Enhancing Opportunities by Design byISBN: 9780309479165Publication Date: 2019In the last twenty years, citizen science has blossomed as a way to engage a broad range of individuals in doing science. Citizen science projects focus on, but are not limited to, non-scientists participating in the processes of scientific research, with the intended goal of advancing and using scientific knowledge. This book discusses the potential of citizen science to support science learning and identifies promising practices and programs that exemplify the promising practices. This report also lays out a research agenda that can fill gaps in the current understanding of how citizen science can support science learning and enhance science education.
- The Science of Citizen Science byISBN: 9783030582777Publication Date: 2021This open access book provides a unique overview of the field of citizen science, explores and summarizes an innovative research field, has case studies which illustrate the varying aspect of citizen science and includes research based on a pan-European networks of experts.
Tools, Products, Webmapping
- ArcGIS Survey123"ArcGIS Survey123 is a complete, form-centric solution for creating, sharing and analyzing surveys." This case study shows how it can be used for citizen science projects: www.nps.gov/articles/survey123.htm
- CurioCurio is an app which provides a means for organisations to engage communities and citizens with mapping and recording trees and plants in their localities.
- EU Scent ToolboxScent is a European Union research project funded under the Horizon 2020 programme.
The Scent Toolbox is a set of smart technologies designed to engage citizens in environmental monitoring.
- HUMAP : The interactive map platform"Humap is an interactive map platform that works for storytellers, scientists, and everyone in-between.
Humap’s user-generated content feature is perfect for crowdsourcing in-depth, local knowledge and gathering qualitative and quantitative data."
- Pervasive NationThe objective of Pervasive Nation is to build an Internet of Things testbed of scale which will become a resource for industry, government and academia, and act as a strong catalyst for Internet of Things research and innovation. Pervasive Nation is a national resource open to any individual, researcher, educational institute, business, or agency seeking to test their IoT idea.
- SapelliSapelli is an open-source project that facilitates data collection across language or literacy barriers through highly configurable icon-driven user interfaces. It enables communities, regardless of social and geographical background, to map their environment. Download for free from the Google Play Store.
- Smart CitizenThe project builds on open source technologies such as Arduino to enable citizens and communities to gather information on their environment and make it available to the public via the Smart Citizen platform. Use Smart Citizen as a tool for data capture and analysis, or to create local maps of noise and air quality.
- TelraamTelraam allows researchers and citizens count traffic accurately. Telraam develops high-tech and reliable measuring equipment that is made available to interested citizens. They are helped to set up their own fully automatic traffic counters.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License