GIS at UCD and on the Web: Mapping and GIS tutorials & courses
Free Open Source GIS Module - Learning about GIS and How to Use QGIS
This online GIS module is part of collaborative project funded by Irish Aid, led by Dr Christine Bonnin (UCD Geography), Dr Nguyen Thi Minh Tien (Hanoi University) and Dr Truong Tuyet (Thai Nguyen University) through the Vietnam Ireland Bilateral Education Exchange (VIBE) programme.
Click on the link above and it will take you to the Library Guide page with all of the course content.
Build Your Research Skills @ UCD Library
This semester, UCD Library Research Services is running in-person presentations and workshops on a range of practical topics to help support your research. Click on the image above for the full list of events available to book.
UCD Library Research Toolkit for Graduate and PhD Students
In addition to Build Your Research Skills an online 6-week lunchtime seminar programme UCD Library Research Toolkit will cover topics including Finding and Using Information, Academic Digital Identity + Social Media, Open Scholarship, Data Management Planning, an Introduction to GIS, and an Introduction to Searching for Systematic Reviews
Click on the image above to book & attend any of these Library events
Guides Created by UCD Library
- Creating a Bounding Box for an Historic Irish Map using MapGenieBy creating a bounding box around a geo-referenced map image you can obtain the co-ordinates of the corners of the map minus the sheet frame or margin.
- Georeferencing historical maps with ArcGISIn this guide you will learn how to georeference a scanned map in ArcGIS and using the OSI 25inch mapping series from MapGenie.
- Georeferencing historical maps in Google Earth_Version 188.8.131.5206In this guide you will learn how to georeference a scanned map and save it as a KMZ file.
- ArcGIS Online - Getting StartedThese step-by-step instructions, created by UCD Library, will help you get set up to use ArcGIS Online in UCD. You can start learning ArcGIS Online using the sample exercises together with the files you need to complete them.
Updated October 2022
How to Import a CSV file into ArcMap and Convert the Data to a Shapefile
- Importing_a_CSV File into ArcMapThis step-by-step guide shows you how to display the information in your csv file on a map using ArcMap. It also shows how to save your csv file as a shapefile.
- Oak Trees of IrelandThis CSV file contains the data required to complete the exercise in the PDF 'Importing a CSV file into ArcGIS'.
Show Data on a Free World Map using ArcGIS
- Show data on a free world map using ArcGISAdd your data from a spreadsheet (see below) to this free map of the world shapefile. Learn how to do this in a step-by-step way using ArcGIS.
- Number of research publications per countryYou can use this spreadsheet for this practical exercise. This will help you learn how to add data from a spreadsheet to a free world map shapefile in ArcGIS.
Other GIS tutorials and training
- Digimap Collections : Import Data to GISThe exercises on this page require access to ArcGIS or QGIS software for geospatial data analysis. All resources can be downloaded and adapted for use in your own teaching and learning.
- Georeferencing Maps using ArcMap : a TutorialThis lesson from Geospatial Historian will teach you how to georeference a scanned historic map as raster data in ArcMap.
- GIS-related podcasts and tutorialsGeospatial Centre at the University of Waterloo staff have created podcasts and hands-on tutorials to assist new users with the basics of specific software programs, including one named ArcGIS beginner. Each tutorial comes with a manual and corresponding Geographic Information System (GIS) files.
Georeferencing Tutorial using an Historical Map from the USA
An Introduction to ArcGIS Online
Tuesday 14th March 2023 at 10am
For UCD staff, students and researchers:
In this two hour hands-on workshop, step-by-step guidance will show you how to create maps in ArcGIS Online. We will use data downloaded from various sources, spreadsheets and add our own data from scratch.
This is an introductory workshop which will be held in-person and is designed for those with little or no GIS experience.
Latest Courses News
- Geospatial MOOCs and Free Online CoursesSearch for MOOC and Free Online Courses from Coursera, edX, ESRI, FutureLearn and other top providers and universities in a wide range of categories and subjects.
- Geospatial Training SolutionsGeospatial Training Solutions offers a variety of courses on GIS and spatial data including using R and QGIS.
- CartographyNext course dates: 22nd February - 5th April 2023
Registration closes: 9th March 2023
Sign up for this free Massive Open Online Course from ESRI to discover how to make maps using ArcGIS Pro. This course shows how to produce engaging maps that communicate with impact.
- Do-It-Yourself Geo AppsNext course dates: 26th January - 2nd March, 2022
Registration closes: 3rd February 2022
Sign up for this free Massive Open Online Course from ESRI to learn about combining location and narrative in one application to better communicate and broadcast your story, create custom web applications that solve problems in your community, and build powerful native applications for iOS and Android devices without touching a piece of code.
- Going Places with Spatial AnalysisNext course dates: 1st February- 15th March 2023
Registration closes 16th February 2023
Sign up for this free 6-week Massive Open Online Course from ESRI and learn about the capabilities of spatial data analysis. It gives free access to the full analytical capabilities of ArcGIS Online.
- Modern Remote Sensing and Image AnalysisIn this webinar from Esri learn how imagery is used in a variety of domains for monitoring environmental change, creating digital twins and smarter cities, and responding to disasters.
- Spatial Data Science : the New Frontier in AnalyticsNext course dates: 30th August - 11th October 2023
Registration closes: 14th September 2023
The course uses ESRI's ArcGIS software and explores the application of spatial data science to uncover hidden patterns and improve predictive modelling.
GIS Courses & Training
- Technological University Dublin - MSc in Geographic Information ScienceThis programme is offered in both full-time and part-time modes.
- MSc in Geographic Information Science - TUDThis brochure describes the MSc in Geographic Information Science courses at Technological University Dublin.
- UCD School of Geography - Structured GIS ElectiveThe BSc in Social Sciences programme provides a unique opportunity for you to develop your GIS skills through a structured elective. This brochure outlines the modules available.
- UCC - MSc in Geographical Information Systems and Remote SensingThe course is designed to teach students about the theoretical and practical principles and concepts that underpin the technologies of Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Remote Sensing, and related areas of Geoinformatics.
- YouTube - Geographic Information Systems (GIS)A collection of videos on GIS and all aspects of geographic information from the past few years.
Creative Commons license
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License