Map Collections at UCD and on the Web: Books and Gazetteers
Find, access and purchase maps at UCD Library. Lists of map resources and suppliers on the web. Examples of map symbols and scales. Copyright and booking forms.
Directories and Gazetteers
- The post-chaise companion: or, travellers directory, through Ireland. Containing a new and accurate description of the direct and principal cross roads with particulars of the noblemen and gentlemen's seats, cities, towns, parks, natural curiosities, antiquities, castles, ruins, manugacturer, loughs, glens, harbours, &c. &c. Forming an historical and descriptive account of the kingdom. To which is added, a dictionary, or alphabetical tables. Shewing the distance of all the principal cities, boroughs, market and sea port towns, in Ireland from each other. Published by W. Wilson, 1786
- A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland, with reference to the counties, in which they are situated, the post-town to which each is attached, their description, or if a seat, the name of the resident; to which is added a general index of persons names, refferring to the page where their addresss is to be found, together with lists of the post towns and present rates of postage throughout the empire. By Ambrose Leet, 1814
- The Dublin guide: or, a description of the city of Dublin, and the Most Remarkable Places within Fifteen Miles. Richard Lewis, 1787.
- The Parliamentary gazetteer of Ireland : adapted to the new poor-law, franchise, municipal and ecclesiastical arrangements, and compiled with a special reference to the lines of railroad and canal communication, as existing in 1814-45. Published by A. Fullarton and Co, 1846
- Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis, 1837 Comprising the Several Counties, Cities, Boroughs, Corporate, Market, and Post Towns, Parishes, and Principal Villages
- General alphabetical index to the townlands and towns, parishes, and baronies of Ireland, based on the Census of Ireland 1851
- Dublin Street Names: Dated and Explained by Christopher Teeling M’Cready, (Hodges, Figgis, and Co., Dublin, 1892)
- Slater's late Pigot & Co's, Royal national commercial directory of Ireland, including ... alphabetical directories of Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Limerick : classified directories of ... Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield and Bristol ... with a ... map of Ireland. By Isaac Slater, Published in Manchester, 1856
- Thom’s Commercial Directory for Ireland 1844-1850. Published in Dublin. Held in Special Collections.
- A range of Irish Directories including Thom's Irish Almanac and Official Directory 1845-1900 are available to search online at Find My Past.There is a fee payable for this service.
- Directory of Irish industrial estates : a mapped guide to 230 industrial estates (1995) Dublin: Kompass Ireland Publishers